At Music of Life we recognise that it can be very difficult for families with disabled children to find opportunities for them to perform. Many venues are inaccessible, travel is costly and suitable occasions are rare. The Children’s Concerts, organised by a small and dedicated group of professional musicians and teachers, inspired and led by Music of Life’s CEO Maria Teterina, provide our beneficiaries with regular opportunities to perform in public concerts alongside able-bodied children and professional musicians in a family-friendly atmosphere.
In our concerts we welcome any child regardless of age or ability, to share their passion for music with others and enjoy the unique sense of achievement that only a live performance can bring. Children and young people with and without disabilities perform together. Professional musicians are taking part as accompanists and appear at the end of each concert with a fine (and fun!) selection of classical music.
Each concert stages up to 20 individual or ensemble performances. We accommodate the needs of all performers – from little ones playing twinkle-twinkle-little-star with one finger to conservatoire-standard players and anything in between!
What is so special about our concerts?
- any child regardless of age or ability can share their passion for music with others
- children and young people with and without disabilities perform together
- there is no selection process, no membership fees to pay
- the application process is quick and easy
- we do anything and everything to accommodate the needs of any performer
- there is no competition, or comparison, just loads of encouragement and support
- in the audience, we welcome families with children of any age, including babies.
Places are allocated on a first come first served basis. Closing dates for applications for each concert are shown below. Remember places are limited and so apply early to avoid disappointment.
How to Apply
1. Entry costs £20 per child, £30 for two siblings. Music of Life beneficiaries can participate for free. Participation in any concert is subject to availability and open to children of any age, instrumentalists or singers, including ensembles. (Please be reasonable and only submit entries for children who will be confident enough to finish their piece).
2. To enter please email to Maria Teterina at email@example.com and tell us:
- your contact email and mobile number
- the musician’s full name, age, instrument(s) and level
- the selection of pieces to be performed with approximate timings
- any special / access requirements
- whether an accompanist is required (subject to availability and enough notice)
You will receive confirmation of your entry by email. Nearer the date of the concert you will receive further information about the programme order and rehearsal times.
We look forward to welcoming you to our concerts.
Date of next concert to be announced soon (December 2019)
Adel and Karina Wilson performing at a Children’s concert
Adel and Karina Wilson have been receiving individual music lessons with Music of Life for over three years. They both play harps and piano to a high standard and also take singing lessons preparing for their Grade 8 exam in 2017. Adel and Karina have multiple disabilities, but, with amazing support of their family and a bit of help from Music of Life they manage to make astonishing progress in music. They won many awards including Duke of Edinburgh Award for Volunteering for providing music workshops in their community.